Associate in Science (AS) – Physics

Physics is a science that investigates the fundamental concepts of matter, energy, and space as well as the relationships among them. Physics is the backbone of many other fields including astronomy, biology, chemistry, mathematics, and engineering, which is evident in fields, such as biophysics, chemical physics, astrophysics, space physics, and geophysics. Regardless of your career choice, an understanding of physics is necessary to understand how our world works. Physics at GTCC serves as one of the core science option for students seeking associate degrees in science at GTCC and basic core science option for associate's and bachelor’s degrees at public and private universities within North Carolina and beyond. Many of our students transfer to a 4-year university or are completing their science pre-requisites for graduate school. 

Credentialing Options

Frequently Asked Questions

You will need to follow the general enrollment process for GTCC.  During the advising process you will have the opportunity to indicate your desire to study within this curriculum. Your advisor will help you sign up for the specific courses you need.

Anne Simpson
Department Chair of Engineering, Astronomy, and Physics
(336) 334-4822, ext. 50484

Dr. Jyoti Nair, Instructor
(336) 334-4822, ext. 50567

Yes, Financial aid is available if you qualify. Please visit the Financial Aid web page or contact the Financial Aid office at 336-334-4822 Option 3.

PHY-110 – Conceptual Physics Lecture:  no pre-requisite, PHY-110A lab is a co-requisite

PHY-110A – Conceptual Physics Lab:  no pre-requisite, PHY-110 lecture is a co-requisite

PHY-131 – Physics Mechanics: C or better in MAT 121 or MAT 171

PHY-151 – College Physics I:  C or better in MAT-171

PHY-152 – College Physics II:  C or better in PHY-151

PHY-251 – General Physics I:  Pre-requisite(s): C or better in MAT 271. Co-requisite(s): MAT 272

PHY-252 – General Physics II:  C or better in MAT-272 and PHY-251

For a course to transfer, you must receive a grade of “C” or better in each course.  If you are interested in transferring to a four-year college or university after GTCC, you should consult with the institutions you will be attending, their faculty advisor, and/or the GTCC Student Success Center. Specific requirements for transfer will vary from school to school.  It is your responsibility to contact your four-year school to confirm if the course will transfer.

PHY 110 Conceptual Physics:  UGETC* course: Natural Sciences – AA/AS

PHY 110A Conceptual Physics Lab:  UGETC* course: Natural Sciences – AA/AS

PHY 151 College Physics I:  UGETC* Course: Natural Sciences – AS

PHY 152 College Physics II:   UGETC* Course: Natural Sciences – AS

PHY 251 General Physics I:  UGETC* Course: Natural Sciences – AS

PHY 252 General Physics II:  UGETC* Course: Natural Sciences – AS


*UGETC: Universal General Education Transfer Component course

If you want to pursue a four-year degree in the area of engineering, you should take the calculus-based physics courses:  PHY-251 and PHY-252.

You need to take PHY131 Mechanics for any application in engineering technology.

No. You can get the AAS degree from GTCC for any engineering technology program, but you cannot transfer this physics credit to a four-year college or university.

You need only PHY110 Conceptual Physics and PHY110A Conceptual Physics Lab for this program.