Serving Students At A Distance

Welcome to GTCC! We know that students at Guilford Technical Community College cannot always be on campus. We have multiple ways for students to keep in touch even when they cannot be here.

In an effort to serve students to the best of our ability, the Student Success Center offers the following services in person and via phone or email:

  1. Course Override
  2. Advising
  3. Registration
  4. Graduation audit
  5. Program Change forms (Can also be submitted via fax; Veterans must still obtain the signature of the Veteran Coordinator before form will be processed)
  6. Withdrawal forms (If via email, form must be submitted from the students’ GTCC email account and include the following):
    1. Name, Student ID Number, Course information
    2. Reason withdrawing from course
    3. Statement indicating that student chooses to waive the right to discuss withdrawal and to obtain a signature from the Financial Aid or Veteran Office.

Students must verify the following information for any services provided via phone or email.

  1. Via email – student must send email from their GTCC email.
  2. Via phone and email – student must verify name, student ID number, last four digits of Social Security number, date of birth, address, and courses have taken the previous semester.

Become a student at GTCC by completing the online process found at Your Path to Success.

These pages contain at-a-distance access to our services for all of our students. Emails are returned within two business days. Telephone calls are answered or returned during business hours.

GTCC At-A-Distance Services

The disAbility Access Services Office is available to assist students with disability related accommodations and services at GTCC. Whether your disability is short-term or permanent, we are here to help you.

Disability Access Office 

  • 336-334-4822 Ext. 50157 from Jamestown
  • 336-334-4822 Ext. 50157 from High Point

The Admissions Office helps students begin or continue working toward their educational goals. If you are a new student, welcome! If you have been a GTCC student before, but have been away for two or more years, contact us.

The Student Success Center helps students map their educational and career path. Need information about academic advising, career services, new student orientation, or international student services?

Student Success Center

The Assessment Center provides testing and proctoring services for all GTCC students.  Testing locations are available on all campuses.

Assessment Center

  • 336-334-4822 Ext. 50525 from Jamestown
  • 336-454-1126 Ext. 50525 from High Point
  • Fax: 336-819-2005

Provides course materials and technology items for students.

Campus Stores

  • 336-334-4822 Ext. 50050 from Jamestown
  • 336-454-1126 Ext. 50050 from High Point

The Student Life Office hosts college events on all campuses.

Computer labs are available to students on all campuses.

The GTCC Career Services Office provides students with career exploration information, job search strategies, and much more. Individuals are available on all campuses to assist you!

Student Success Center

The Counseling Center provides personal counseling services and referrals for students. Individuals are available on all campuses to assist you.

Counseling Center

The Financial Aid Office has staff on all campuses to assist you.

Financial Aid

  • 336-334-4822 Option 3 from Jamestown
  • 336-454-1126 Option 3 from High Point

The main International Student Office is located on the 2nd Floor of the Medlin Campus Center on the Jamestown Campus. However, information and services for international students can be found on all campuses.

International Students

The GTCC Library has locations on all campuses.


  • 336-334-4822 Ext. 50290 from Jamestown
  • 336-454-1126 Ext. 50290 from High Point

Cashier’s Office locations are available on all campuses.

WebAdvisor provides an easy online payment system for students. Login to WebAdvisor
The Cashiers Office is available when payment questions arise.

  • 336-334-4822 Ext. 50083 from Jamestown
  • 336-454-1126 Ext. 50083 from High Point

Records services can be located on all campuses.

Records and Transcripts

  • 336-334-4822 Option 0 from Jamestown
  • 336-454-1126 Option 0 from High Point

Student Life Office representatives are located on all of our campuses. The Student Life Office sponsors the Student Government Association, Student Clubs, and Activities on all campuses.

Student Life

  • 336-334-4822 Ext. 50517 from Jamestown
  • 336-454-1126 Ext. 50517 from High Point

Please visit the Help Center for information.

We take care of incoming or outgoing transcripts. Transcripts can be mailed, hand-delivered, or sent electronically encrypted to the Records Office.
Send Transcripts 

  • 336-334-4822 from Jamestown
    Kristen Fowler 336-334-4822 Ext. 50161, Renetta Smith 336-334-4822 Ext. 50354 email:
  • 336-454-1126 from High Point
    Tracy Mack  336-334-4822 Ext. 50335 email

The Tutoring Center has locations on all campuses.

Center for Academic Engagement

The main Military/Veterans Assistance Office is on the 2nd Floor of the Medlin Campus Center on the Jamestown Campus.  However, assistance for veterans is available in the Student Success Center on all campuses.


  • 336-334-4822 ext. 50521 from Jamestown
  • 336-454-1126 ext. 50521 from High Point
  • Email:

Frequently Asked Questions

Cara High is our Coordinator and VA Certifying Official. You may contact her via email at or call 336-334-4822 Ext. 50521.

Please visit Disability Access Services  for more information. You can direct your questions to

Please view our Virtual Counseling Center for more information. You can use the online screening process to identify an actual or potential problem.

GTCC does not offer on-campus housing. Please contact Student Life for information regarding local residencies.

To guarantee your security when you submit forms , GTCC observes identity verification procedures in compliance with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA). There are several methods to verify your identity electronically.

You may submit your address or name change form by completing one of the following procedures:

  1. Download and fill out the appropriate form
  1. Submit the form by:
    • Titan Live Email – If you are a curriculum student and know your Titan credentials, you may email form submissions and inquiries from your titan live email to Please include your student identification number in the email.
    • Personal Email – If you are a non-curriculum student or you do not have access to your Titan credentials, you may email form submissions and inquiries from your personal email to You must include a copy of your state issued photo identification. Please include your student identification number in the email.
  2. Fax – Please fax your request and a copy of your state issued photo identification to (336) 454-7073.

Yes! If you live over an hour away from our Jamestown campus, you may request to receive your Associate Degree, diploma, or certificate via mail. Please email

Please email to request enrollment verification.

Please view our Requesting Transcripts page for more information.

Please view our graduation page for more information. 

We receive many calls during busy times of the year. Have you tried sending an email with your Titan Account? View the contact information for each department

Go to your Canvas account for your course and pull up your syllabus. The syllabus will list contact information for your program coordinator or department chair.